Friday, February 8, 2013
Mi-Aych will Miss you -__-
Even if I sleep up until 10 o'clock in the morning she'll stay under the covers and wait for me to wake up. Even if I'm talking to another adult about an important issue she'll bug me and bug me until I see that she's more important right now. Even if I'm trying to eat a decent meal she'll whisper "fia ai Aunty" and remind me to eat moderately because I have to share with her. Even if I have to walk up the stairs with loads of stuff she'll force her bag in my face. Even if she's tired of sitting in her car seat, she'll hop right back on when I say please.
Shekinah is no typical two-year old. Honey Booboo has nothing on my little Samoan maka-pinty Tinkerbell gibberish translator. Never in my life had I imagined that this girl would ever be such a big part of my life. It's true what they say, how life is full of surprises and this girl is definitely packing them surprises. I am her one and only Mi-Aych. A few months ago I was a teacher at Manumalo Baptist School and I wanted my students to call me Miss H (As a kid, I loved the movie, "Matilda" and of course I was a teacher now and it so happens that my name started with an H and I actually led my students to believe H stood for Honey, as in Miss Honey. LOL. ) There began the makings of Miss H - and the calling of Mi-Aych. Shekinah probably notices that everyone around me calls me a different name but she doesn't care, very NOSE of her, continuing to call me Mi-Aych. A few weeks ago she left for California, I was pretty down about it knowing that my iPad front-face camera wasn't going to be filled with daily pictures of her selfies (the iPad always seems to be on low battery when I want to take my own selfies, setup!) & when she finally came back home the first thing she said to me was , "Hiyeeeeee Mi-Aych !!" You couldn't imagine how many pills of happy went into my system the moment she said my name- well- her name for me. I have about a month and a half left with her before she goes back to California and I am so mad at Dinosaur Train and Caillou and all her other cartoon friends from taking our quality time together. I wouldn't mind turning the television off but I'm sure she'll say "Ti TV Aunty!" That'll be the end of our loving relationship if I was to ask her to do something else, like, hanging out with me. LOL. Before I left for UH West Oahu she was still in her Mommy's arms, slowly learning how to walk, but by then she knew how to make faces. I felt like it was my job to make sure she knew how to do every expression in the book. From smiling, to frowning, to puckering up like a duck, to puckering up for a kiss, to tongue teasing, to gangstah looks, to its-so-shocking-i-need-to-cover-my-mouth-in-case-it-falls-of-my-face, this missy right here aced my class of crazy faces. Step two was language. I would think that I was the only one encouraging her to speak English her own way, but of course, my Mom was also making it worse hahahahahaha I don't understand anything she says, but it doesn't stop her. She would go on with her version of English and I would continue with mine. So we would just go at it for a few minutes and I think that she understands every bit of what I say and I return the favor and accept that whatever her replies are, make total sense. One day they will, I guess, but I won't be there to see it. I won't be able to witness the wonderful world she will make of saying the correct things - or maybe I don't want to see it. I want to stay as Mi-Aych to her, for always. I'm sure she will catch on with saying Miss H but I don't think it would be as special as Mi-Aych.
Sometimes blood isn't as thick, my Shekinah is more than blood to me. She is bond. Unbreakable.
Her mother may not be my biological sister, but Shekinah is my niece, if not the closest niece I will have in this life. And I will more than miss her because I won't have anyone to speak secret with. I won't have anyone to call me by my favorite name. I won't have anyone sleeping by my side with so much patience. I won't have fun picking out color-coordinated outfits for my baby Samoan barbie. And worst of all, trying to figure out what sort of hair arrangement she would rock in front of Barney and friends.
Oh as I cry thinking about her going on that plane.
Mi-Aych will miss you so so so much baby.
And Mi-Aych will always love you.
Mi-Aych will look forward to the day we can speak our own English language again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment